PRK (photorefractive keratectomy) is a superficial corneal ablation technique using excimer laser.This technique was approved by the FDA in 1995 and since then millions of eyes have been successfully intervened through its use.PRK is done with drops of anesthetic. After removing the corneal epithelium, laser impacts are applied to the corneal thickness.
Since this treatment only removes 5% -10% of the superficial corneal thickness (approximately the thickness of a hair), this allows the laser treatment of myopia up to 5-6 diopters and astigmatisms of up to 3 diopters, in fine corneas , in slightly irregular corneas, in very flat or very curved corneas, and even in cases where LASIK would be contraindicated.
In which cases is the PRK technique recommended?
As it does not require a lamellar cut of the cornea, it is recommended for those patients who practice risk sports (martial arts, soccer, basketball, rugby, …) or with professions such as policemen, firemen, … where an ocular trauma can damage the corneal sheet or flap created with the LASIK technique. Likewise, it is also a treatment for those patients who do not want a cut in their Cataract Surgery. Read the details at kraffeye.com.
Regarding their activities
- Live normal life. You can use the eye as much as you like.
- It is significantnot to rub your eyes.
- You shouldclean your face and head. Eyelids and your skin round the eye need to be clean. Mild soaps used for babies are recommended. Just be careful to dry gently afterwards.
- Do not cover your eye, even if it is more comfortable. The risk of infection increases with a covered eye. Occasionally your ophthalmologist may recommend using a fenestrated rigid occluder at night.
- You can wear sunglasses to go outside, especially during the first weeks after the operation. Not only will they serve to protect the eye, but they will also prevent glare, something common after the intervention.
- Except for special indication by your ophthalmologist, you can sleep in the position that you like the most, although during the first five days it is advisable not to sleep on your stomach.
It is also recommended that you do not rub your eyes after the intervention. For the same reason it is advisable not to paint your eyes for 1 month.